By Noah St. John
I've had the blessing and privilege of helping more than 200,000 people in over 50 countries through my books, coaching, online programs and live seminars. And in all that time, I've never met one person who doesn't WANT to succeed.
So, why do so many people hold themselves back from the level of success they're capable of?
Your mind is like an iceberg: 5% visible (above the surface) and 95% hidden (below the surface). Let's call the visible 5% your Conscious Mind, and the hidden 95% your Subconscious Mind.
Your Subconscious Mind is like a room that's totally dark. When you can't see something, it's awfully hard to change it.
When you combine your Why-To's and Why-Not-To's with your conscious and subconscious, the answer to why you're holding yourself back becomes stunningly simple.
You want to succeed at the Conscious level. But have you ever thought about the Cost of allowing yourself to succeed?
When I ask my coaching clients to tell me their Why-Not-To's of Success, they tell me:
- What if it takes too much TIME?
- I'm too BUSY.
- I don't want the extra RESPONSIBILITY.
- What if my FAMILY doesn't approve of my success?
- What if my FRIENDS don't like me when I'm rich and successful?
- What if I go for it and LOSE it all?
All of these Why-Not-To's are held in your subconscious mind. That means, no one wakes up in the morning and says, "Looks like a great day. I think I'll hold myself back from success today!"
I say: Go for it! Because when you clear your head trash, you give others that same permission to clear their head trash and that's how you will become more of Who You Really Are.
Here are four steps to clear your head trash:
1. List your Why-To's and Why-Not-To's. Write your Why-To's of Success on one side, and your Why-Not-To's of Success on the other.
2. Calculate your stuckness. Score each one from 1-10, 1 meaning it's no big deal to 10 meaning this is a really big deal. Calculate your totals to see how stuck you really are.
3. Share your list with a coach or mentor. They can offer objective advice and help you reach your goals faster.
4. Decide if you're willing to pay the price of success. Yes, it's true that there IS a price to pay for success. Only you can decide if it's worth it.
Even after clearing your head trash, if you still feel like you don't have the:
- TIME to improve your life or business
- ENERGY to really accelerate your progress
- RELATIONSHIPS and right people in place to make things run smoothly
- Or MONEY that should be coming in for all the hard work you've been doing
If that's the caseHere are a few steps I teach my clients to get unstuck fast:
1. Realize that when you say, I don't have time, you're lying to yourself.
Let me give you an example. Imagine that you're going about your daily routine, when suddenly the phone rings. It's a relative telling you that one of your family members has just had a serious accident, and you'd better get to the hospital fast.
Do you say to the person on the phone, "I'm sorry, I don't have time?"
Of course not! You drop whatever you were doing, jump in the car, and get to the hospital pronto.
Now, was "Go to hospital" on your to-do list for today? Of course not.
But, because you had a greater REASON to go to the hospital than NOT go to the hospital, you MADE the time.
My point is not that you should live your life in "crisis-mode". The point is, whatever you determine to be TRULY important, is what you do each day.
2. If you want to attract the right people, you must become the right person.
I often ask my clients a blunt question: Would YOU want to be around you? Many people sheepishly answer, "Not really."
All human beings are wearing two invisible signs. The first sign says, "Please make me feel important." The second sign says, "Help me first."
The problem is, everyone is waiting around for everyone else to go first!
Be the one who goes first. The more you acknowledge, appreciate, and seek to serve others, the greater the number of great people will be drawn to you.
3. Focus on what you HAVE, not on what you lack.
Most people are suffering from the disease of "not-enoughness". This comes from focusing on what you don't have, which produces more feelings of not-having!
Every night before you go to sleep, write 5 things you're grateful for. This will build feelings of confidence and self-worth.
4. Use AFFORMATIONS.
No, that's not a misprint. In 1997, I discovered AFFORMATIONS empowering questions that change your subconscious thought patterns from negative to positive.
For example, you've probably used affirmations like, "I am rich." And your brain replies, "Yeah, right!"
Instead of a statement you don't believe, using AFFORMATIONS causes your mind to search for why you are, in fact, rich. That's why changing the questions will change your life.
Try these simple steps and clear your head trash. You'll be amazed at the view!
Noah St. John is the inventor of Afformations and bestselling author of The Secret Code of Success: 7 Hidden Steps to More Wealth and Happiness (HarperCollins).
Noah is the world's most-quoted expert on how to clear your head trash. He's appeared in over 2,000 media outlets including CNN, ABC, NBC, The Washington Post and PARADE Magazine.
Through his books, audiobooks and seminars, you can learn how to become successful in your life using Afformations and all the other advice he has to offer.